Expression of Interest Requirement
Applicants for an Australian Skilled Visa (permanent residence) must first submit an Expression of Interest before applying for a visa. Applicants can no longer apply directly for their visas – they must wait to be invited to submit an application from the Department of Immigration &Border Protection.
Skilled Independent (Subclass 189)
The key requirements for a General Skilled Visa are:
- Having received an invitation from DIBP after submitting an Expression of Interest
- Have obtained a skills assessment in a nominated occupation on the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List
- Be less than 50 years of age
- Have competent English – based on an IELTS test
- Meet the points test – you must score at least 60
Skilled State Nominated Migration (Subclass 190)
- In addition to the above General Skilled Requirements, you must be nominated by a state or territory government.
Skilled Regional Sponsored (Subclass 489)
- In addition to the above General Skilled Requirements, you must be sponsored by an Australian relative living in a ‘Designated Area’, or nominated by a participating state or territory government.
Skills assessments are required for Expression of Interest Applications, some Employer Nominated Scheme and Temporary Work applications. Ezy Migration can arrange to have your skills assessed with the relevant assessment body.